On June 15, 2012 the Connecticut General Assembly officially established the Capital Region Development Authority, (CRDA), replacing the quasi-public entity formerly known as the Capital City Economic Development Authority, (CCEDA).
Public Act 12-147 not only re-designates CCEDA as CRDA, but it also allows the new Authority the same powers as CCEDA to plan and implement specified Capital district projects. The Act also expands the original CCEDA district and permits CRDA to plan and implement some of these projects outside of the district. Michael W. Freimuth is the Executive Director of CRDA.
The Capital Region Development Authority's 14-member board includes the mayors of Hartford and East Hartford with the Department of Economic and Community Development Commissioner, OPM Secretary, the Connecticut Department of Housing and the Department of Transportation Commissioners serving as Ex-officio members. Two appointees of the Mayor of Hartford, (a city employee and a city resident), one from the legislative minority leadership, one from the legislative majority leadership and four gubernatorial appointments round out the rest of the board.
The Capital Region Development Authority offers credit-based student intership opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Qualified applicants must have completed their sophomore year of undergraduate academic courses and be currently enrolled in either a Bachelor's or Master's Degree Program. Students interested in public administration, financial, entertainment and marketing are encouraged to apply.
- To stimulate new investment, provide for multicultural destinations and a vibrant multidimensional downtown
- Attract major sports, conventions and exhibitions
- Residential housing development
- Operate, maintain and market the Connecticut Convention Center
- Stimulate family-oriented tourism, art, culture, history, education and entertainment
- Manage designated facilities
- Stimulate economic development in the Capital region
- Development and redevelopment property within Hartford
- Facilitate the relocation of the area State office buildings